Saturday, June 12, 2010

Extra money for little effort

I'm always looking out for ways to increase my income or get free stuff without too much effort on my part.  I'm talking about $5 or $20 at a time not massive windfalls, but the amounts can sure add up quickly.  "Can't be done" you say.  Yes it can be done and here's how.

Over the last few years, I have joined various survey and market research companies.  If they're particularly worthwhile, then GuitarMan joins them too.  Not everyone's partner is going to spend a few minutes each day completing surveys, so I'm lucky that he indulges me that way.

Now GuitarMan was sceptical at first that there was any benefit in signing up for market research but once the vouchers and cash started coming in he has ever so slowly changed his mind.  I've found that the longer I have been doing surveys for each company, I have started receiving higher paid surveys and product tests.  Although the website blurbs don't say so, it appears your effort, time and loyalty are sometimes rewarded with better assignments.

I'm not going to guarantee the hourly rate will be fantastic but I like completing surveys and I like trying out products I probably wouldn't buy so it works for me.  I also like that the only investment required from me is my time and I can undertake the surveys at a time of my choosing.

For the month of June so far, here's how GuitarMan and I are going.  I've written the company in brackets in case you want to check them out for yourself.
  • $50 Coles Myer Voucher (Opinions Paid)
  • $5 cash (Lightspeed Panel)
  • $20 Bunnings voucher (Valued Opinions)
  • Another $20 Bunnings voucher (Valued Opinions)
  • 4 x Adult Movie Tickets (Nielsen)
  • 2 x Free Tickets to see The Losers on 21 June (Contagious Network)
  • 2x Oral B toothbrush heads for our rechargeable toothbrushes (Vibe Village)
  • 4x travel tubes of Pronamel toothpaste (Vibe Village)
  • $60 cash for attending a focus group (Read Research)
All up, the value in vouchers, tickets and cash is around $265 and it's only the 12th of June. 

On the way but not yet arrived:
  • $75 cash (Pureprofile)
  • Yet another $20 Bunnings voucher (WDYT)
  • Bertolli Pasta Sauce (Contagious Network)
  • $50 USD (Global Test Market)
  • Masterfoods Spices (Vibe Village)
I may also attend another focus group on Thursday and the payment will be an $80 Coles Myer voucher. I got a message yesterday but can't contact the company until Tuesday due to the long weekend, so fingers crossed.

Focus groups are something new for me and I'll need to do a few before I decide whether they are right for me.  I registered for two companies this week and immediately got contacted by both. Although the money is good, I've yet to decide if the convenience factor makes it worthwhile for me.

Anyway, off to lunch at Mum's for my brother's birthday.  No money spent and an afternoon with family.  Lovely.  TootToot has a friend staying for the weekend so there won't be much money spent in this household.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great achievement. Tell me more about how you ended up with heaps of Wish cards (from your other posts).
    I really Like your writing style and blog layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm too much to put here in the comments field. I'll write a post specifically about how I accrued enough Frequent Flyer points. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete